Sunday, August 25, 2013

Half-Marathon Training

In July I thought it might be fun to sign up to run an 1/2 marathon this October, having run very little before this was a huge step for me and something thus far I have really enjoyed training for.

The idea of running 13.1 miles seems incredibly daunting at first but as you slowly progress it becomes more and more attainable.

I run 3 times a week. 2 are shorter runs and one is a longer run. The way I have build up my distance running is on the longer run I have increased it by a mile every week (or every 2 weeks depending on how tired I am) this has meant I have a reachable goal when I run, and helps keep my motivated.

Here are some of my top tips
Set a goal- Be it running a race or just being able to run frequently throughout the week. Goals give you something to aim for. 
-set rewards associated with your goal, to help further motivate you
Always warm up and cool down. Nobody likes having DOMS
 Get good quality running shoes that fit you well, to prevent injuries.
 Try to run on a quality surface, grass is the worst to run on, if you can find an athletics tract try road running, but be aware that concrete is high impact.

I am running my 1/2 marathon in aid of the Lullaby trust charity who help families affected by sudden infant death syndrome. 

If you wish to sponsor me head over to my just giving page

http://www.justgiving.com/Rebecca-Elizabeth

XX,
Beckie

No comments:

Post a Comment