Thursday, May 30, 2013

School Success


Being successful in school depends on how you define ‘success’.
‘Success’ means getting straight A’s, or maybe it means making the varsity soccer team. It could also mean getting passing grades, and having good relationships with those around you.

I’m almost done with high school (5 school days!), and I’ll be attending my dream school next year (Elon University). I know it’s not Harvard, but it’s definitely not a bad school. Did I work hard in high school? Most of the time. Did I get all A’s? Nope. Did/Do I have a lot of close friends? Yes.

To be honest, French just wasn’t my class. I cannot tell you how to use the pluperfect subjunctive tense, or explain to you how to go scuba diving in French. I don’t think I even know the word for scuba diving. Does this all matter to me? No.

My grades were definitely important to me, but forming long lasting friendships and memories were also up there.

How to be ‘successful’:

1.     First, you need to define success. Don’t change what it means to you. If it means you want to have the best 4 years of your life, then so be it. If it means you have to get into at least 3 of the ivies, good for you!

2.     Find a more specific goal, within your definition of success. Which ivies do you want to get into? What would make these years fun: parties, friends, lots of chess competitions?
  
3.     What do you need to do in order to reach that goal? For the ivies: it’s pretty simple. Do a ton of things outside of school, get perfect grades and scores and it doesn’t hurt to be a legacy. Having the best 4 years (I’ll use chess competitions): perfect your game, know your competition…etc.

Love what you’re doing. If you don’t have your whole heart, 100% of it in what you’re doing, then you might not be successful. Don’t let what other people think bother you, or what they say. If you want to be successful, and put your mind to it, then you will be.

XX,
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment