Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Random DIY :: Decorating Your Graduation Cap

Hey there! Taylor here, from The Pre-Vet Prep! I'm so excited to be writing for Chit-Chat this month, and I hope you enjoy my first post! We'll be talking about a DIY project today that will be of particular interest to graduating seniors (rising seniors may want to bookmark this too, for future reference!) - decorating your graduation cap!

We all know those caps aren't flattering. Who decided that a flat board on top of your head looks good? The only benefit that comes from that is getting to decorate the top. I will be among the first graduating class from my brand new high school, so we had no idea whether administration was going to let us decorate them or not. Turns out they did, as long as there are no 3D parts to it!

I looked at soooo many pictures of girls' grad caps to decide what I was going to do with mine. I knew I wanted to have my monogram and my college on there somewhere.

{via}
I got most of my inspiration from the one in the center.

I lined mine in ribbon and put on my monogram and college logo (throwback!), glittered the center button, and wrote my college graduation year and part of my favorite Bible verse. You might have noticed that courageous is kind of messed up... I accidentally started to spell it "corageous"! I caught myself though. This was even after having it written on a sheet of paper correctly beside me. My luck.

For the monogram and logo, I printed it on card stock and cut it out with an exacto knife. To get the patterned letters it was sort of a process. First I typed the monogram into word art on Microsoft Word. Then I flipped the letters so they were mirrored horizontally and printed the pattern on the back so that when I cut it out, there would be no risk of lines around the pattern!

To attach everything, I used clear tacky glue from Walmart for $1.97! It was overall extremely cheap - my mom got the card stock from her work and I had the glitter on hand. All I had to buy was the glue and ribbon!

All in all, I think it turned out well! Now I'm even more excited to graduate!

xo, Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment