Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer Service

One of my favorite things about summer is seeing teens get involved in their community. When I was younger and went to art camps at the Arts Council I used to always want to be one of those teens that helped us little kiddos out. I have yet to do that this summer because I have just recently gotten a job. I rather volunteer but I do need money since I am getting my license and all that jazz.

But before I fully start my job, I am going to a service camp held in my town! It is so much fun! This is my third year doing it! We spend the night in a middle school and during the day we are divided into small groups and we go to various places around our county and help people to do stuff out of the goodness of our hearts. Some people build wheelchair ramps, paint school hallways, hang out with the elderly or be a part of the vacation bible school held for the kids in a neighborhood in my town. After the long hardworking day, it is so so so rewarding to see the smile on these people’s faces knowing that you helped them do something for them that they could not do for themselves.

If you haven’t volunteered before, go to your counselor at school or church because there are so many opportunities for you to help out others whether you realize it or not! Some schools even give awards to students who have a certain amount of volunteer hours. You might even need them to be in National Honor Society! Plus they look great when you apply for college!

Do you volunteer during the summer? What organizations have volunteered with?

XX,
Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment