Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review :: Lean In


Today I will be doing a review of my most recent read, titled Lean In. This book is written by Sheryl Sandberg. Who is Sheryl you might ask? She is a women's rights advocate and an inspirational speaker! She is also a Harvard graduate and the COO of Facebook, in addition to being a wife and a mother of two. Basically, she is a real-life, modern day superwoman! Sheryl is a big role model for me, so when her book came out recently, I was so eager to buy it.

Lean In is Sheryl's guide (and part memoir) of how to juggle being a competitive woman in the workforce while also being an involved family member/mother in today's society. I know that "work" and "mother" are words that don't necessarily apply to me just yet, but I still loved reading her accounts of how women face discrimination in the workplace and how she tackled the challenges put in her way with grace and confidence. I believe that if more women acted and behaved like Sheryl, women today would not only dominate the top-tier job positions, they would be doing amazingly well at their jobs! This book was hardly an outlet for Sheryl to brag about her successes though. She wrote plenty about her failures and embarrassing moments, and called out her own flaws on numerous occasions. I think that understanding and admitting your weaknesses in an internationally published best-selling book is a pretty courageous move!

All in all, I loved this book and I think that both men and women, young and old, should pick it up and read it :)

XX,
Vina

1 comment:

  1. This is on my to read list! I cannot wait to read it! Great review!

    xo,
    Emily
    www.lifesn0tebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete