Monday, April 22, 2013

Closet Organization

Spring is the perfect time to start cleaning out your closets to make room for adorable new spring and summer clothes. Closet organization is essential if you want to keep track of all of your clothing and accessories!

1. Clothes: I usually keep my clothes in two closets: a fall/winter closet and a spring/summer closet. My fall/winter closet is the larger one, because where I live our cold season is much longer than our warm season! It is also the closet in my bedroom. My spring/summer closet is smaller and it is in our upstairs guest room which is conveniently located next door to my bedroom!
Fall/Winter Closet: This closet has two rungs. On the bottom rung are my pants, jeans, yoga pants, and sweatpants, as well as separate hangers for my scarves (I have a hanger for wool/heavier scarves and a hanger for silk/cotton/lighter scarves). My belt hanger goes on the bottom rung as well. On the top rung are my fall/winter tops, arranged by style of top. Sweatshirts hang on the far left, followed by thicker pullover sweaters, then buttoned cardigans, then long-sleeve tees, then collared button-ups, then three-quarter sleeve shirts, and then my short-sleeve tees.


Spring/Summer Closet: This closet has only one rung, and here is how I organize it left to right: Capris, shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts, tank tops.


2. Shoes: I keep the ballet flats, sandals, sneakers, and boat shoes that I tend to wear the most hanging on a shoe rack on the door to my spring/summer closet. My collection of boots go on the floor of my fall/winter closet on a plastic sheet so they don't dirt, mud, water, etc. on my hardwood floors!


3. Bags: I keep a majority of my purses and tote bags hanging on hooks in my fall/winter closet. My dad bought the hooks at either Home Depot or Lowes, or some other home-improvement store like that and nailed them into the wall in my closet! Easy as that. I find that hooks are a very easy way to organize bags in your room. Also, I like that my bags are inside my closet so they don't take up space in my bedroom or make it look cluttered.


4. Laundry: I keep my laundry bin/hamper in my bedroom outside my fall/winter closet. I throw my dirty clothes in there whenever I am done wearing them, and after a few days when the bin fills up, I transfer it to our laundry room upstairs where my mom takes over the organization part! (My mom and I are very similar when it comes to order and cleanliness.) I also have hooks in my room outside of my closet where I hang my bathrobe, some baseball hats, and random clothes that I wore once for a very short period of time. This helps keep clothes off of my bedroom floor!



5. Decoration: I am obsessed with decorating my bedroom, and when I re-did my bedroom design a few years ago, I thought my closet doors looked very boring and drab. So I took a bunch of my old Vogue magazines, and cut out pages that I thought were cute! Also, when I was back in middle school, I had a bit of a Juicy Couture obsession, so I had lots of posters and cards from JC that I put up on the closet door. A fun task to do if you have free time is to clip out pages and pictures from your favorite magazines and tape them to your closet door to give you some fashion inspiration every time you go to pick out an outfit! Make sure you use tape, not glue though! You never know when your tastes will change and you will want those clippings off of your door...


I hope this post was helpful, and if you decide to re-organize your closet space, make sure to email a picture to us here at Chit-Chat, we would love to see your work!

XX,
Vina

No comments:

Post a Comment